How to change my address with the Registry of Motor Vehicles in Nova Scotia?
The Registry of Motor Vehicles is the corporation responsible for managing the driver’s licensing and vehicle registration system in Nova Scotia. When you move, it is crucial to notify the Registry, so as to make sure that your driver’s licence is updated accordingly.
Need to update your address with more than one organization? Check out our interactive checklist.
Update your Address in Minutes
1. Build your list.
2. Notify +1000 organizations at once.
3. Save time and leave nothing behind!
Who is required to notify the Registry of Motor Vehicles of their change of address?
If you currently are in possession of a driver’s licence in Nova Scotia, then you must notify the Registry of Motor Vehicles of your new address within one month of your move.
How to change my address on my driver’s licence?
To change your address with the Registry of Motor Vehicles, there are four options available to you:
- Free on your MovingWaldo account.
- Use the online Change of Address express service by following these steps:
- Complete and review the application form
- Verify and confirm your information
- Receive the transaction confirmation, which you can print
- Send your Master Number (or full name and day, month, and year of birth) and your old and new addresses via fax to RMV at 902-428-2180 or visit a Registry of Motor Vehicles office.
- Write a letter, date and sign it, indicating your master number, as well as your old and new addresses and submit it to the Registry of Motor Vehicles at:
Registry of Motor Vehicles
P.O. Box 1652
The documents you need!
Before you start your change of address process online, make sure you have on hand one or more of the following documents:
- Driver’s Licence or Vehicle Master Number
- Licence Plate Numbers of all the vehicles registered to you
- Nova Scotia Health Card numbers and birthdates for all household members
- Complete new and old addresses
Do I receive a new licence when I change my address?
- You will have to pay a fee
- You will need your licence master number
- If you have vehicles or licence plates registered with another person, a separate application has to be completed for the joint master number
- The new address you give has to be located in Nova Scotia
Where do I find my master number?
You can find your master number on these following documents:
- Your Nova Scotia Driver’s Licence
- Your Nova Scotia Learner’s Licence
- Your Nova Scotia Identification Card
- Your Vehicle Permit
What if I am moving permanently from another province to Nova Scotia?
If you are moving permanently to Nova Scotia, you have to apply for a Nova Scotia Driver’s Licence and register your vehicle with the Registry of Motor Vehicles within 90 days of your arrival.
Your out-of-province licence has to be surrendered once you apply for a Nova Scotia licence.
What if I am moving temporarily from another province to Nova Scotia?
If you move to Nova Scotia temporarily, you are allowed to drive a vehicle for personal, non-business purposes for 90 days with a valid, out-of-province licence. The 90-day period starts from the date on which your vehicle was first operated in Nova Scotia in any registration year.
Moving is often synonymous of stress, long administrative tasks and a significant waste of time and money. MovingWaldo helps you solve all these problems in just a few clicks! After some shameless self-promotion, we invite you to discover our free moving tools available to all.
- Update accounts
- Connect Internet, TV and Phone.
- Secure home and auto insurance
- Find resources, checklists and more.
We bring together more than 700 organizations across Canada with a single and simplified form.
Share this article on social media
Best Moving Companies Fort McMurray – Find the perfect moving company near me. Looking for the best moving companies in Fort McMurray ? Here’s how we help. We’ve built a list of curated movers that you
Changing your address with your financial institution is an important step in the moving process. Changing your address ensures that all sensitive documents, such as credit/debit card statements and insurance policy updates are being sent to the correct address.
Ready to move?
Check out MovingWaldo’s free moving app that will save you up to 10 hours of paperwork. And it’s free.