What is the Cost of Moving?
Will you call in professionals or will you organize an activity with friends for your next move? If you are wondering what the cost of moving is, read this for an informed choice.
Are you moving and wish you had some help? Check out our free interactive checklist.
Tackle Your Move in Minutes.
1. Save time with every task
2. Access exclusive deals
3. Track your progress
What is the cost of moving with professional movers?
Some benefits certainly
Using the services of professional movers means having access to:
- Skilled manpower, therefore efficient.
- Appropriate equipment: quilted blankets to cover furniture, protective mats for floors.
- Guaranteed work: most companies take out insurance for moving goods in addition to liability insurance.
- A la carte services, depending on your needs: packaging, unpacking, storage, etc.
- Some moving companies offer free wrapping paper, inform yourself.
What influences the costs of moving with professional movers?
The cost of moving varies depending on:
- The time of year when you move: hourly rates are higher in high season than in low season.
- The number of men you hire: the hourly rate for 3 men is higher than for a duo, but the efficiency of a larger team has been demonstrated.
- Distance to travel between your current home and the new one: most companies charge for the time it takes to travel from their office to your current home, and the time to get back to their office.
- The number of rooms in your home.
- The amount of property you own: the content of 4½-room apartments may vary …
- Tasks that you perform before the move so that you have less to do on D-Day:
- Disassembly of certain furniture, for example a crib;
- Transport of fragile items to the new residence a few days before the move.
All these variables will influence the cost of your move.
Get a realistic estimate
When requesting an estimate, be specific:
- Do you have large furniture? How? Which? If you have a piano, the mover may ask you for an additional amount or even refuse to move it altogether.
- You are not carrying large appliances with you? Mention it!
- Do you live – or move – on the 3rd floor of a building that does not have an elevator?
- Do you have a garage and a shed, both packed? You should allow time to load and unload what they contain.
- Do you accumulate goods and don’t want to get rid of some treasures that have been preserved over the years? You will probably have a lot of boxes.
This will allow you to have an idea of the cost of your move and prepare your budget adequately.
Choosing your moving company
Ask for quotes from a few moving companies to compare their costs and services. Nowadays, you can easily receive many quotes online.
You can also seek advice from family, friends or colleagues. Perhaps they can recommend a moving company that has given them full satisfaction during their move.
Counting on friends to help you move
Calling on friends means that you are responsible for all aspects of the move – logistics, rental of truck and equipment, etc. And that you will have to take care of ALL your goods, especially your large furniture. This is a way that you can significantly reduce the cost of your move.
However, to prevent problems if a friend gets injured, check with your insurance company if you have liability insurance.
Equipment to rent during your move
You will need to book a truck if you are taking charge of your move. Choose the size of the truck carefully to avoid going back and forth.
The cost of the truck will vary depending on the rental date: try to avoid moving during the high season, when demand peaks.
You do not have the choice? Reserve your truck several weeks before the move.
Also consider renting equipment, for example:
- A devil or a cart;
- Ratchet straps to secure the furniture in the truck;
- Blankets to protect furniture;
- Gloves for everyone;
- A bag to wrap your mattress: it will be protected from dirt and bedbugs;
Precautions to take
Check with your insurer for the extent of your personal automobile insurance coverage. This will tell you if you need to purchase insurance from the truck’s owner. This can also add to the cost of your move.
Also check with your credit card company. Some offer protection if you use your card to pay for the rental.
THE essential expense
Any good move with the help of friends ends with a pizza and cold beer. Plan a budget to fill your aid!
Additional costs of a move
Certain costs can be added to the final bill, costs that we don’t always think about, but that we must keep in mind.
- The costs of storing your goods and the time between your departure and arrival at your new accommodation. For logistics reasons, you may need to store some of your belongings. This will therefore have to be taken into consideration. That said, there are several types of warehouses to suit your needs, some less expensive than others (e.g. indoor vs. outdoors).
- Loss of salary on the day of the move. Unfortunately, it is not always possible to move on weekends and you may have to take time off at your own expense. This will need to be considered when you prepare your budget.
- Don’t forget about bridge loans! It’s a way to finance homeowners during the time lag between selling their home and buying the second. It allows the owner to use the equity in his old home for his new home. This is a fee, because interest must not be forgotten.
- Finally, when you move to a new accommodation, you will of course have to connect it to several types of service. So, this comes with connection fees.
The good news: it's tax deductible!
Did you know that you can deduct your moving expenses if you change your address due to a full-time job or post-secondary education?
To do this, you must be at least 40 kilometers closer from your place of study or your new place of work, whether your work is annual or seasonal.
You can deduct many moving expenses from your yearly tax return.
- Transport and storage costs;
- Fees for terminating a lease or selling your property;
- Living expenses paid to stay near your new home (maximum 15 days);
Keep all your receipts and don’t hesitate to discuss them with your accountant.
Share this article on social media
Relevant for your move
Pianos add such beauty to a home, whether or not they’re used much! But, as anyone who has ever tried to move one knows, moving one isn’t for the faint-hearted! It is certainly an arduous tasking, requiring thorough preparation and manpower. Because of the unique skills involved in moving a piano, there exists a niche moving market where professionals are there to give you a hand solely in moving your beautiful instrument.
The vast majority of Western homes have one these days: the washer and/or dryer. Just how did we live without them before? Of course, having one of these household appliances also means that we need to move them when we move home. But, how do we do this? Washers and dryers by their very nature tend to be heavy and bulky items. You may need to call the experts when disconnecting them and while moving them but if you’re going to have a go yourself, read on for our top tips.
Moving a pool table is no easy task! If you are moving it inside your home, then you will need a few able-bodied helpers.
When you are moving home, moving your heavy appliances can be a difficult task. However, by planning it carefully and by having some help from family or friends, moving your refrigerator can be achieved safely and relatively easily, ensuring that both your appliance are you are protected.
If you have ever moved home or even rearranged your living room, you will know what a challenge it can be to move a sofa or sofa bed, especially when stairs are involved! MovingWaldo excels itself in having the know-how in moving even the most difficult items, whether or not you decide to hire a professional to help you. If you decide to go it alone, we can help you every step of the way in moving your sofa or sofa bed. Likewise, if you need to move your sofa through a window, down the stairs, or through a narrow space, our expert step-by-step guide will ensure that your sofa is in its new place as soon and as efficiently as possible. Sofa so good? (Sorry, I couldn’t resist a pun!).
Need help moving?
Check out MovingWaldo’s free moving platform and find everything your need for your move. No sign up required!