City mouse? Or country mouse?
Deciding where to live – between the city and the country – can be a tough choice. Here is a list of the advantages and disadvantages to help you make up your mind.
Our whims and wishes have a lot to do with where we decide to live. The peace and quiet of the countryside may appeal to you now, but what if the allure of a busy urban centre with its many conveniences turns your head?
To make the best choice, take stock of your current situation.
Is your home life stable? Are you planning to start a family or having more children in the near future? Do you want to live close to your loved ones? These are all questions that can help you see more clearly before you make a move.
Moving to the city
If you like being in the heat of the action, with an array of restaurants, museums, special events and other things to do, then the city is ideal for you.
- Plenty of transportation options: bus, metro, streetcars, as well as an abundance of taxis and ride-sharing services
- Vibrant cultural life: special events, festivals, concerts, and exhibits
- Proximity of health services
- Best career opportunities: large companies have their head offices in the city
- Exposure to pollution and smog
- Urban stress
- Congestion and crowds
- Noise pollution
- Higher prices of houses, condos and apartments
Seduced by Mother Nature
Living way out in the country can be terrific for lovers of nature and wide open spaces.
- Peace and quiet
- More space: houses are often bigger and more accommodating for large families
- Convenience of nature close at hand: hiking, cross-country skiing, gardening, etc.
- Often lower cost of properties
- More privacy as houses are further apart
- Bigger lots
- Farther distance to shopping centres and municipal services
- Need for a car, and perhaps more than one, due to lack of public transit
- Longer commutes to work
It all boils down to you and your priorities
The city and the countryside each have their advantages and disadvantages. It really depends on your professional, personal and financial circumstances.
Now that you have an idea of the pros and cons, it’s up to you to decide what your priorities are, what you like most and least. Taking the time to carefully consider all these factors will help you make the right decision.
Happy moving day!
Moving is often synonymous of stress, long administrative tasks and a significant waste of time and money. MovingWaldo helps you solve all these problems in just a few clicks! After some shameless self-promotion, we invite you to discover our free moving tools available to all.
- Update accounts
- Connect Internet, TV and Phone.
- Secure home and auto insurance
- Find resources, checklists and more.
We bring together more than 700 organizations across Canada with a single and simplified form.
Share this article on social media
If you have an immigration or citizenship application in process and are moving soon, it is required of you to update your address, to make sure you receive any important documents.
Leaving your parent’s house to move in your very first apartment is indeed an incredible feeling for many people. While you aspire of decorating your new home, we provide here the key points to help you with an ease moving into your first apartment.
Unless you live under a rock, you probably want your internet connection to be installed in your new home as soon as possible! This article sheds light on the following questions…
Few things in life are as stressful as moving. A good moving company who offers a fair price, treats your belongings with care and respect and works efficiently is absolutely essential to your move being successful. we collated information about the five best moving companies in Garden City.
When you are moving home, moving your heavy appliances can be a difficult task. However, by planning it carefully and by having some help from family or friends, moving your refrigerator can be achieved safely and relatively easily, ensuring that both your appliance are you are protected.
Ready to move?
Check out MovingWaldo’s free moving app that will save you up to 10 hours of paperwork. And it’s free.